Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Question and Answers
1. What is Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: It is a Filipino martial art style originated in Southern most part of Luzon in the Philippine Islands.
2. Since "Senko" means "five" in the Filipino language, what does that signify?
Answer: Signify the five angles of strikes in Senkotiros style.
3. What does " Tiros" mean?
Answer: Strike or attack.
4. Where did this little known Senkotiros stick fighting originated?
Answer: In the "Bicol" region on the Island of Luzon in the Philippines.
5. When did Senkotiros Arnis first become known to the Western World and why?
Answer: In the year 2000. To established the identity of the person who revived Senkotiros after many years of non-existence in the past.
6. Who first introduced it to the United States?
Answer: Grandmaster Max Pallen.
7. What distinguishes it from other stick fighting styles?
Answer: The method of defensive techniques, minimized movement, shielding application and small circle concept.
8. Can anyone learn this stick fighting art?
9. What other styles of stick fighting is Senkotiros Arnis related to?
Answer: Possibly Doce Pares, Modern Arnis, Balintawak and Pekiti Tirsia.
10. How many types of strikes does Senkotiros Arnis have and what are they?
Answer: Three types, control, re-tract and follow through strike.
11. What is the fighting philosophy of Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: Disabled opponent, killing is the last resort.
12. Can Senkotiros Arnis techniques be substituted with knives?
Answer: Senkotiros Arnis style progresses from long stick to short stick or knife and empty hand.
13. Can you adapt Senkotiros Arnis to usage of two sticks?
Answer: Yes, We train right-hand and left-hand.
14. Do you need to be skilled in the "empty hand" martial arts to learn Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: Not necessary. The training with stick is to develop good "empty hand" fighting skills.
15. Why learn stick fighting first before the "empty Hand"?
Answer: If you put extension in your hand, your hand evolves closer to your body and develops close quarter fighting skills.
16. What is the primary lethal human anatomical target when using Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: To disabled opponent, first must strike the shin, if you must kill, then strike the temple area.
17. Are there special "footwork" patterns used with the Senkotiros Arnis style?
Answer: Yes, based on front or rear foot must compensate each other foot movements.
18. How many defensive positions are used with the Senkotiros Arnis?
19. How many self-defense techniques found in this Filipino stick fighting style?
Answer: As many options techniques you have available, according to your skills.
20. How are Senkotiros Arnis striking methods defined?
Answer: Horizontal, diagonal down, diagonal up, thrusting, twisting strikes.
21. Are Senkotiros Arnis techniques adaptable to empty hand self-defense methodology?
Answer: It was design from the beginning of training to develop the mastery of the empty hand method of self-defense.
22. Is Senkotiros Arnis a close-range, middle-range or long-range fighting style?
Answer: Close range. But it is also adaptable to the other ranges.
23. Can takedowns and throwing techniques be integrated into Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: It is already been integrated.
24. Is there levels, rank, or grades of proficiency in Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: Yes. Each candidate must go through the ranking program training and test.
25. If so, what are these levels of expertise?
Answer: "Antas", "lakan" or “dayang”, “guro”. tuhan" and "apo".
26. Why is Senkotiros Arnis considered the deadly style of single stick fighting?
Answer: Single stick with the live hand will make it very deadly.
27. What is solo baston?
Answer: Single or one stick.
28. Are there any instructional videotapes of this unique fighting style?
Answer: Yes, produced by Grandmaster Max Pallen.
29. Where may I purchase them?
Answer: Mail to Senkotiros Arnis, P.O. BOX 3124, San Leandro, CA 94578.
30. Where may I find "qualified" teacher (guro) in Senkotiros?
Answer: Contact your local Senkotiros Arnis School or click on Instructor information.
31. Does Senkotiros Arnis style stress all out full-contact training in stick fighting?
Answer: Yes, with precautionary adapted program to avoid serious injuries.
32. What is the difference between "shielding' and " blocking" in defense?
Answer: Blocking covers small portion of space while shielding cover wider portions.
33. Are there seminars available that teach Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: Yes, click on Events button as seen on the navigation above.
34. How long does it take to master the art of Senkotiros Arnis?
Answer: It depends on how much time you are willing to accommodate for training.
35. What is the youngest age of a Senkotiros Arnis student?
Answer: Four years old.
36. What skills are required for each level of training?
Answer: Please see Senkotiros Arnis ranking requirements.
37. Who certifies qualified Senkotiros Arnis instructors-teachers (guro)?
Answer: The Senkotiros Arnis Board of Directors.
38. How would I know if person is a Senkotiros Arnis Guro?
Answer: He or she will possess a certified I.D. Instructor's certificate and record files.
39. Are there any written materials on Senkotiros stick fighting?
Answer: Senkotiros Arnis book will be published soon and other booklet was already been published.
40. Who should I contact for Senkotiros Arnis membership?
Answer: Please click on Senkotiros Arnis Contacts Link. It will guide you to the information and application form that is available for printout.